Welcome to today’s topic:
FIRE Movement Retirement (The 9-5 Job Slavery Antidote)
- 1 “FIRE Movement Retirement (The 9-5 Job Slavery Antidote)”
- 2 Myths About the 9-5 Job Slavery
- 3 Can You See Time Freedom In Your Day?
- 3.0.1 (1) You need 8 hours of sleep
- 3.0.2 (2) You use 2 hours and 30 minutes before you go to work (minus 1 hour and 10 minutes without the kids).
- 3.0.3 (3) You have to work 8 hours including lunch time.
- 3.0.4 (4) You use 3 hours and 30 minutes after work (minus 1 hour + 20 minutes without kids)
- 3.0.5 Total: 22 hours
- 4 The FIRE Movement Retirement
- 5 Does FIRE Movement Make Sense For You?
- 6 So, How Does FIRE Concept Work?
- 7 How Much Do You Need to be Financially Independent?
- 8 Steps In Adapting FIRE Concept
- 9 Final Thoughts
- 10 Che’s Top Recommended Programs
“FIRE Movement Retirement (The 9-5 Job Slavery Antidote)”
Our modern generation has made our standard of living too expensive. Looking back 50 years ago, life is so simple and the cost of living is weigh far below than the numbers we see today.
Back then, most of the households have only one source of income – a typical employment income solely from the husband and the wife is normally the one taking care of the children.
Fast forward today, most of the households have 2 active sources of income- both husbands and wives are working while the children are in the day institution or school.
Having two sources of active income comes with a lot of advantages and disadvantages in our daily lives. Let’s note some of them below.
Advantage and disadvantage of our modern lifestyle
One of the advantages of having higher household income (husband and wife working actively) is that – now, you can afford to buy “a lot” of things like:
- a bigger house
- a summer house
- more than one car
- different kinds of subscriptions – newspaper, Netflix, cellphone, etc.
- more expensive digital gadgets
- and the list can go on…
A lot of those things are really nice to have but in reality, the basic necessities lie far behind those things that we work or strive for.
On the other hand, one of the disadvantages of working 8-10 hours a day or 40-50 hours a week is the time itself.
Using 200 hours or more a month at your workplace can create pressure in your daily lives especially when you just got started building a little family.
However, since having established that high cost of living weighs back before starting a family, you can’t just stop working. Otherwise, you can lose “a lot” of the things that you “are used” to be having as your “normal” daily life, such as a big house.
So, keeping you working a lot of hours a month for the reason for sustaining your expensive lifestyle is what we called today the of the 9-5 job slavery.
Myths About the 9-5 Job Slavery
The following myths are the things you’ll likely hear from the people who keep working for the job they don’t even love.
Some of them are completely wrong and lies. Some of them are half true. And some of them are just alibis but in reality, they really want to escape from this rat race.
- My company prioritizes people before money
- Climbing the corporate ladder will make me rich
- My job is stable and secure
- Diversity is a victory for everyone
- Things will get better when I get promoted
- My 9–5 job will teach me valuable skills
- Other people’s salaries are none of my business
- Starting a business is a huge risk
- My company’s leaders are smart, honest, hardworking people
- If I work hard, I’ll be rewarded accordingly
Can You See Time Freedom In Your Day?
Just for fun, let’s breakdown all the time that we need or recommended to be using within 24 hours and see how poisonous it is to have 9-5 job slavery.
Please don’t get me wrong. If you love your job and it gives you a lot of freedom, then don’t ever consider it as a poison.
Okay, let’s start…
(1) You need 8 hours of sleep
(2) You use 2 hours and 30 minutes before you go to work (minus 1 hour and 10 minutes without the kids).
- Brush your teeth 3 minutes
- Take a bath for 10 minutes (average)
- Dress and make up for 8 minutes (women)
- Prepare breakfast for the whole family 20 minutes
- Waking up and helping your kids get dress and ready to school 30 minutes.
- Eat breakfast 20 minutes (recommended for good digestion)
- Pack lunch for kids and/or for yourself for 10 minutes
- Send kids to school or day institution = 20 minutes including driving
- Drive to work 30 minutes incl. walking from the parking to your workplace
(3) You have to work 8 hours including lunch time.
(4) You use 3 hours and 30 minutes after work (minus 1 hour + 20 minutes without kids)
- Drive back to school incl. walking to the parking lot for 30 minutes
- Fetch the kids and drive back home for 20 minutes
- Cook Dinner for 30 minutes quick food
- Eat dinner for 20 minutes
- Washing dishes 30 minutes including tiding up in the kitchen
- Putting the kids into bed including bathing and reading books 1 hour
- Evening tea for 15 minutes.
- Brush your teeth for 3 minutes.
- Remove makeup for 2 minutes.
Ok, let’s do the summary math and find out how many hours left out of the basic activities in a day.
- Sleep = 8 hours
- Activities before work = 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Work = 8 hours
- Activities after work = 3 hours and 30 minutes
Total: 22 hours
Now, do you have 2 hours of freedom? Nope, not yet, there’s more.
- Exercise (recommended at least 30 minutes a day)
- Tiding up in the house in an ordinary day let’s say just 30 minutes.
- What if you use more than 8 minutes dressing up and putting makeup in the morning?
- What if you use more than 10 minutes in the shower?
- What if you use more than 30 minutes drive to work?
- What if you need to work overtime?
- What if you use more than 30 minutes in cooking?
- What if your kids can’t sleep right away and need your attention?
- What if one of your kids get sick?
- What if your kids have extra curriculum activities after school hours?
- What if you want to watch a movie, read a book or something else before you go to bed?
- And the list can go on…
Guess what? Can you see something that’s missing on that typical 24 hours/day?
You need to pee and poo too! lol. I don’t know how much time you use for that. I’d rather not to talk about it. That’s private (wink).
Seriously, if you already are “poisoned” with going to the job that you don’t even love, then the FIRE concept could be your antidote.
Let’s see why and how…
The FIRE Movement Retirement
Today, there are people or a group of people who are living frugally and strictly follow the FIRE concept. FIRE stands for Financial Independence Retire Early.
This movement is originated in the US and now gaining a lot of attention and popularity on media across the globe – especially on the first countries which have likely the same high standard and high cost of living.
FIRE movement followers are aiming to retire before the age of 60s and some are also aiming a retirement age at 30. And mind you, there are already numerous followers who have reached these goals of early retirement with a frugal lifestyle in different ages.
If you have heard about FIRE and the extremely early retirement, then you probably heard a lot of critics about.
Nevertheless, if you are reading this you are probably looking for your way out of that 9-5 slavery system.
Does FIRE Movement
Make Sense For You?
What are the main benefits of FIRE Lifestyle?
- Time freedom.
- Financial independence.
- Early retirement.
- Quality time with your family and friends.
What are the disadvantages of FIRE concept?
In my honest opinion, an eventual disadvantage of this concept is fairly subjective and a question of your own willingness.
If you are used to living with a lot of luxury things around you and you are not willing to adjust or to give up some or a lot of these things, then that would be the big disadvantage for you.
Will you keep two cars, a huge house, a luxury digital gadgets, and a summer house, if that would mean you have to work more than 200 hours a month?
Oh, plus the transportation time from your home to your workplace that you use. Let’s say one hour a day, so that’s around 20 hours a month. That’s a 5-working day a week. So, if you work more than 10 hours or more than 5 days a week, your numbers would be different.
So, How Does FIRE Concept Work?
These are the basic things how FIRE concept works:
- Saving enough moving to sustain your lifestyle at the Safe Withdrawal Rate of 4 % plus the inflation rate.
- Cutting expenditures.
- Learn new things to save more money.
- Keeping things more basic.
- Learning new things to earn more money passively and achieve financial freedom event